Thursday, February 28, 2008

The things I take for granted

Today a few dental assistants came in to talk the entire second grade about how to care for their teeth and the importance of going to the dentist. They gave us toothbrushes and toothpaste to hand out when we got back to the classroom. The kids had lots of questions and it was a very beneficial experience for the students.

During the convocation a student from another class had mentioned they had never been to the dentist, which shocked me. I teach underprivileged kids and I'm aware that they don't have a lot, but I suppose I never thought about something like the dentist. When we got back to the classroom and I let the kids pick out what color toothbrush they wanted. BIG choices people, there were pink, purple, orange, blue, and green toothbrushes (I mean how can you choose!).

I polled my class to see how many students had never been to the dentist. HALF OF THE CLASS....50% of all my students
have never been to a dentist. This made me so sad. I grew up upper-middle class and going to the dentist wasn't even something I considered a privilege. I completely took and take it for granted. I take for granted the fact that I have enough food to eat everyday. I had a student that came to school late yesterday and he was hysterically crying by the time he made it the class. He said his mom didn't give him breakfast and told him that he'd be at school on time for the free school breakfast. But then their car broke down and he didn't get to have breakfast because he was too late. I didn't find out that was why he was upset til after lunch. We discussed that next time he should tell me and I will make sure he has something to eat.

*Sigh*......I wish I could change their lives. I wish I could change poverty.

7 comments:

Leanne said...

Hi Dana,
I have never commented on your blog, but have peeked in on it occasionally through g-knee's blog.
I used to work for the Head Start Program here in Lafayette. I just wanted to let you know that the Community Health Clinic does offer Dental Services:
http://www.tchclafayette.com/dental.html
Also, Dr. Ditto and Dr. Sammons on Cason Street have worked with low income kids who needed major dental work...
Just thought that info might be useful.
Your little boy is a DOLL!!

M. Kate said...

"I wish I could changed their lives"

I understand, it's tough.

Daizie Girl said...

I love your heart for your kids! You are such a blessing to them! I try to keep crackers, breakfast bars, or granola bars in my drawer just for that occasion. It doesn't happen as much with middle school kids - but it still happens sometimes.

Abby :) said...

Yeah, it totally gets me too to think that our community has FREE dental care for these kids and their parents still neglect them. Besides the community health clinic, many providers accept Medicaid so kids can go to alot of places now.

Diana said...

I went through the Dental Assisting program at Ivy Tech a few years ago. I remember just going to one specific classroom, but yeah those kids loved the attention we gave them. We did the disclosing tablets on them and they thought it was so cool for their teeth to turn pink. We had to tell them that was not really a good thing though. Yep, they enjoyed toothbrushes. I am the same with you. I grew up going to the dentist the thought never once crossed my mind about not going. Unfornuately some of these kids lose teeth prematurely or they end up going to the hospital to have their teeth worked on...just because they need so much work. Wish the parents would use the medicaid, (Hoosier Healthwise) to better their children. The mouth affects the whole body.

Anonymous said...

Dana,

Ivy Tech offers free dental exams, cleanings, X-rays and sometimes fillings to individuals. We have a free dental clinic. Individuals can call 765-269-5100. That main line can direct them to the dental clinic.

Dana said...

Thanks Leanne and Lee for the information. I didn't know that all those services are avaliable. It's nice to have information to pass on to a family. I of course can have to be careful on how to approach giving out information like that. Some people would love the info, others would be offended, and still others just won't care (like Abby pointed out).