Friday, February 8, 2008

Scary trains, a fever, and a phone that finally works!

Connor woke at 10:00 last night and appeared to be having a bad nightmare. About a train. Which is pretty ironic since his bed IS a train. So he is thrashing around in his sleep yelling "NO, no, no! Train! SCARY!" I try to console him and in the process he wakes up only to find out he is sleeping in a train-shaped bed (Thomas)! The poor thing. It's funny now, but it wasn't at the time.

He finally went back to bed and then woke up again at 12:30 A.M. I knew at once from his crying something was wrong. Call it a mother's instinct, but you just learn to decipher the different cries. The poor little guy was BURNING UP and was delirious. I could not tell what he was saying; it was kind of scary actually. I attempted to give him some Tylenol to no avail. I had to finally let him lay in my bed because I was afraid he might hurt himself. He fell asleep, but kicked and thrashed around until 3:30, until I decided there was no way I could allow myself to get no sleep. I gingerly laid him back in his own bed, where he stayed put til 6:30.

At that time I busted out the thermometer and low and behold he had a fever of 103! Ironically I still had no cell phone (that is a whole other post) and had no way to call my principal to tell him I couldn't come in and he would need to order me a sub.
Luckily, my neighbor, who lives right across the hall from us goes to church with me and works in Connor's daycare. I had told her about our phone situation and she had said she could help if needed. I'm sure she didn't really mean that I could come knocking on her door at 6:45 A.M. Of course she was great and let me use her phone. *As of this afternoon I do have a working cell phone now!!*

I managed to throw together some pathetic sub plans on the computer while simultaneously soothing a sick child who wanted all of my attention. I emailed my plans to Emily. The same friend who was bringing an old Verizon phone from a friend of hers to work today.

Connor received a double dose of Tylenol and Ibuprofen. He fell asleep on the couch at about 8:45 and I took advantage of this and went and laid down as well. When we woke up I drove us over to Miller to get the phone and then had Verizon turn it on. We spent the rest of the day at home.

At this point Connor's fever is being kept at bay, but he was complaining that his ear hurt at bath time. I may take him to a Dr. tomorrow depending on how the night goes.

UPDATE: Connor spiked a fever of 102.1 last night. By late morning it was back down within normal range. We had breakfast with Jen at the Baja Peninsula (yum!) and I decided the Dr. was not needed. Connor just woke up from his nap with another fever. This time it is 101.2 degrees. I'm taking him to MedExpress on the westside. At the very worst he has an ear infection and at the very best I'll feel better having had him looked at.

3 comments:

Daizie Girl said...

Hope the Con-man is feeling better!!! Hope mommy gets some sleep too!!!

MadMup said...

So I'm guessing my old phone didn't work for you... Bummer :( Glad you've got a working one now, though!

M. Kate said...

Glad you're able to communicate with the outside world again. And, glad the man is headed toward better, I hope.