Monday, August 11, 2008

Potty News and More!

Connor and I are adjusting well here at the Redden's. We love our new home and are very excited to be here!!! What a blessing!

In Potty News...Connor FINALLY showed that he can do it! After months, and months of no progress and feeling that his potty training business was hopeless, last week marked a major milestone. The key is that he wants to stand up (I'll leave it at that). He's still learning and having accidents (at those times I am thankful that I don't ALSO have a puppy), but I'm encouraged. He has a sticker chart on the fridge AND he gets a cookie when he uses the potty. Does the last one seem wrong??

----

God is good and he's been teaching me a lot lately. I seem to keep having the same themes come up though. In a nutshell I basically struggle with wanting to....

Being in control...I'M SO NOT.
Know the future....I HAVE NO CLUE.

He sure is patient with me...I should know by now that his plans trump mine (THANKFULLY!) and that I need to give him the problem and not the solution.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a suggestion. I'll call it "B.F. Skinner meets the old Quaker Oats man"...

Instead of giving him a cookie, how about a whole grain muffin? The high fiber reinforcement would not only give Connor a tasty treat, but keep him in constant practice. This would set into motion a rapid cycle of successful bathroom usage -> reward -> succesful bathroom usage -> reward, etc. Bowels would be well-rehearsed, self-efficacy would soar, mom would beam with pride.

Good idea?

Jeffo said...

better idea - put cheerios in the toilet to use as target practie.

Genious I know

Sizzledowski said...

I linked your blog on my page. :)

~Melissa