Most of My Class (3 students missing)!At different times the following words could be used to describe the experience:
overwhelming,
hectic,
crazy,
stressful,
shocking,
special,
rewarding,
unforgettable,
and precious.
This year was an eye-opening look at the big part of Lafayette that live in poverty (I could probably write a book from just this year on the heart breaking situations these kids are faced with...). I cried today when my first few students left to get in their bus lines. I cried after they all were gone. I'm sure I'll cry again too...
Lunch with the teacher!I had 2 students not return for the last few days of school. It's quite possible I won't see them again since they may have already moved. I think that was the hardest part of the year; not being able to say goodbye. That was how most of the year played out. Students moving in and out. Not being able to say goodbye because even they didn't know they may be leaving the next day. After the first nine weeks I stopped questioning why certain students kept taking all their school supplies home with them every night. I stopped making them leave stuff in their desks because I grew to understand they had learned before to hold on to the few belongings they had when life was unstable.

Playing a game together on the last day of school!
I ended the year with about half the class I started with. I had 11 different students either leave or move after the year had started. I remember all of them. I love them all and I've missed them. I will miss the ones that left today for the summer. I pray I will see them again, and if I don't I pray that God will keep them safe in the palm of his hand. I hope that they know they are special. And I hope they have learned as much from me as I have learned from them.
Class picture of those present on the last day.I've tossed around the idea of trying to be somewhere else next year, but in the end I believe it's God's will for me to be exactly where I am.

One of my favorite pictures!
I'm sure he will let me know if I am right. ;)
1 comment:
Oh Dana. That was precious. Thank you for sharing, brought tears to my eyes...you have quite a mission field there and never know what seeds you are planting for the gospel that may grow in the future. Love ya, girl!
Post a Comment