My first year teaching in itself if over-whelming. Teaching at a school that is in it's 3rd year of not making AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress) is pretty much insane. In a nutshell AYP is-"A statewide accountability system mandated by the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 which requires each state to ensure that all schools and districts make Adequate Yearly Progress." (*I might add that it is the category of Special Education at my school that hasn't reached its goal the last 3 years, which inadvertently affects the entire building.)
Our school is in the process of "Implementing the improvement plan" that was started last year. We have a lot of extra work that all teachers have to do and committee's we have to join. Some extra work includes:
- Taking a course called VoyagerU. I would have never decided to take a 6 credit graduate level course my first year teaching, but the choice was to take it and have the school corporation pay for it and have the credits OR just take it. This did not requite a lot of thought on my part.
- Being a part of subcommittee researching best practices and meeting bi-weekly.
I'm also taking part in IMAP (Indiana Mentoring and Assessment Program): "Beginning teachers participate in the two-year mentoring and assessment program when they receive an initial practitioner license, which is valid for two years. Upon successful completion of IMAP, the license is changed to a five-year proficient practitioner license." Yes, its not even a real license yet!! Luckily I don't have to send in my portfolio and tape myself teaching until next year:)
Alright back to midterms. Hopefully this doesn't sound like complaining, I'm definatley not meaning it to. I love teaching. I love my students and feel like this is exactly where the Lord wants me right now. I'm so thankful to be a part of their lives and I've seen so many changes in the last few weeks that have given hope I have needed. I think this is more a disclaimer in regards to the misconception that teaching is only grading papers and working from 8-3.
1 comment:
Proud of you for keeping up the way you do, Dana. I can't imagine, but I know you're doing the best you can and God will certainly reward you for that!
Keep fighting the good fight!!
Post a Comment